Sunday, September 25, 2011

Learning to boil an egg

I read today in The Times (yes, I have the app on my ipad) that one in seven students entering into university cannot boil an egg. Now, I haven't read the Daily Mail's article about this, but I can be fairly certain that they have made it into some big 'the youth of today' article condemning all youths as irresponsible thugs. No, its not all idiotic lazy teenagers who live off junk food, nor is it students who have been in boarding schools all their lives who fit into this category of 'hopeless dependents' - I also could not boil an egg before I went to university. I made a scrap book which had on the front page 'a boiled egg takes four minutes!' I wish I was joking. The point I am trying to make, is that just because freshers may have never done their own laundry, picked up an iron, boiled an egg, the world is not coming to an end. We are not a degenerate generation. I managed to teach myself how to cook, do laundry AND got a degree. It is not difficult.

Three years ago I couldn't boil an egg, could barely navigate myself to the end of my street, and yes, I did manage to end up in Newmarket when trying to get to Swindon from Durham, yet now I am responsible for three children under the age of six and mercifully they are still alive.

When thrown into the deep end, be it university or moving to the other side of the world, we an adapt and if someone has managed to get into university (or get themselves successfully to the right terminal at the airport) we can assume they are intelligent enough to learn how to boil an egg. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment