Sunday, September 18, 2011

The difference between Australia and England

Although I am living on the other side of the world, it barely seems that way. Australia feels comfortably familiar, yet different. We drive on the same side of the road, eat similar foods, speak the same language, yet the subtle differences between us Brits and Aussies, is becoming increasingly evident. My first lesson was never to take your shoes off in the house. They will think you are pretty weird, and rather rude.

Now, I am going to contradict myself here, but the biggest difference I have noticed in my short time here is the language. Yes, they speak English, but some of the terminology and language they use is so unfamiliar, that I am often staring at HM and HD with such a blank expression that I am sure they must think I'm sleepwalking half the time. I'm not, I promise. But when HM asks me to make sure all the doonah's are clean, what am I supposed to say? Oh, of course, a doonah is a duvet! Duh! And capsicum, snow-peas...what are these?! I feel like such a hoon! (Yes, my point exactly.) Oh, and they love to abbreviate literally everything. I used to think that the stereotype of Aussies with all their "G'day mate's" was reserved for the surfer-dude who hangs out on Bondi Beach, but the 'lingo' is used by every Aussie out there. Even Australian Ebay greets me with a G'day which will never cease to bring a smile to my face.

Another startling difference between Australia and the UK is how polite, happy and welcoming people are here. Not that Brits are all grumpy old buggers, but even going to buy half a litre (not pint!) of milk, the shop assistant will always ask how your day is going, how you like Australia and how your second cousin twice removed is. People seem to genuinely want to help you, which is proving to be rather detrimental to my financial situation because I find it hard to change my mind about buying something after the shop assistant has spent an hour and a half trying to find the perfect fit jeans for me (Levi's men's skinny fit - FML) Must resist the amazing shopping mall painfully close to home...

Even after just a week, I can see why so many Brits hop over the pond to live in such a beautiful country. Ok, so I am judging the place after six days, but being here as a resident rather than a tourist, it feels like Australia has all the home comforts of home (Tetley's included) but with the added bonus of amazing weather and amazing people. Maybe I will become one of the 24,000 Brits per year who go to Australia and never come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment