Thursday, March 29, 2012

Swags, Thorny Devils and bonfires!

HURRAH! 6am and I'm off to see the 'Real Australia'. Having a very limited knowledge of outback Australia and 'the bush' I really didn't know what to expect, but my week was beyond all I could ever imagine. It was flipping awesome!

We kicked off our seven day tour driving from Adelaide to out first destination (The middle of nowhere). I knew we would be sleeping in swags but I didn't really want to admit that I had no idea what a swag was or what it involved so I was a little nervous to say the least! The group I was with involved a few Germans, four antisocial Swiss boys, a Canadian, a guy from Litchensutein and a girl from Argentina. The rest of the group were to join us in Coober Pedey, two days away from us. Our tour guide, Dan is this crazy guy who has basically been camping in the outback since he was a toddler knows so much about the wildlife of the bush it's unreal. He would just stop randomly on the side of the road, skip off somewhere and come back with all sorts of crazy animals from bearded dragons, thorny devils, emus, to brown snakes and itchy grub (seriously cool catapillers who form a train of a few meters long to protect themselves from predators, and being run over - safety in numbers and all that!).

By this point I'm rest assured that this week is going to be AWESOME and other than being kept awake due to heavy snoring (not my own this time!!) I loved sleeping in swags under the stars after a few beers by the bonfire.

(FYI, a swag is a glorified sleeping bag, with a 'monster flap' to put over your head to stop the millions of flies eating you alive)

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment