Thursday, March 29, 2012

Surviving the Troggs


I'm writing this 2 days after returning from the most incredible 10 day adventure of my life and it seems that I've written a bit about the kids, stupid stuff I've done and nothing about any travelling! To date, I've been to Sydney (amazing), Tasmania (amazing) and Adelaide to Alice Springs (flipping amazing).

Seeing as I've just got back from the outback I should really write about that trip specifically. I'm going to do it in a few instalments because there is SO much to write about!

Here is a little snippet about ADELAIDE!

Sunday morning, I took the 11 hour bus journey from Melbourne to Adelaide to stay in the YHA, assuming that because it's a pretty well established hostel chain, I'd be relatively comfortable and safe. Er. No. I was indeed, stuck for two nights in some sort of hellish nightmare where I was convinced my 'rooms mates' were going to knife me in my sleep. They were three troglodytes from Queensland who spent the night texting some poor girl in Brisbane threatening to 'hunt her down and teach her a lesson' for stealing one of their boyfriends. Meanwhile, I am hiding at the bottom of my sleeping bag clutching my phone, kindle and iPad for all they are worth, terrified they are going to practice their 'lesson teaching' on me. Not a great start!

Nevertheless, I survived the night and scarpered off for my Barosa Valley Wine Tour, with a tour group aptly named 'Groovy Grape'. The tour guide turned up an hour late, leaving me a little worried that my holiday will be horrible start to finish. However, I met a great group of four other girls, all travelling on their own and we had a lot of fun getting suitably sloshed tasting about a gazzilion different wines from four different wineries topped off eith a BBQ of kangaroo and sausages. After that and the outback, I think I've eaten enough kangaroo to last me a lifetime.

Out of all of the wines we sampled (and there were one heck of a lot!) my personal fave was the sparking red from Jacob's Creek. Yum! Very popular in Australia for people who like to drink red but it's too hot to here! At the end of the tour, I returned back to my hostel at 3pm, hungover and desperate for a Hungry Jacks (thats Burger King for the non-Aussie folks). Thankfully the evidence of empty beer cans assured me that the Troggs would be kept away until my early 6am pick up for the next step of my adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Georgieta!!!!

    Just checked up quickly before leaving work to see if there was some news about your trip and... was so happy to read these beautiful new posts!!! Amazing trip!!! And good training for your life with the Cintolesi-Taboas!!!!

    Muchos besos desde La France,

    ;o))

    ReplyDelete